Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Can I void lease for deadbeat landlord?

I went through a broker for an apartment I really loved. I was told it would be ready June 1st, repainted, with all repairs made. I put down a deposit and first and last month's rent. Come the 1st, got the keys, get into the apartment, and none of the repairs were made. The bathroom sink doesn't work, the tub leaks, and the kitchen cabinets are coming off the wall. The broker (who is also building management) keeps saying these things will be done, but nothing ever gets scheduled. Do I have the option of breaking the lease at this point and getting my money back. I can't afford to make all the repairs myself, and my roommate/cosigner has left in frustration, leaving me with the whole weight of the rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment